QUOTE from Dr Fung (emphasis mine):
Step 1 – Don’t put sugar in …
The first step is to eliminate all sugar and refined starches from your diet. Sugar has no nutritional value and can be safely eliminated. Starches are simply long chains of sugars. Highly refined starches such as flour or white rice are quickly digested into glucose. The optimum strategy is to eat little or no refined carbohydrates.” 
NOTE (my commentary)
The first step is to eliminate all sugar and refined starches from your diet.
The optimum strategy is to eat little or no refined carbohydrates.
1. What gets your attention?
2. What does it say about Reality? (Any misperceptions to correct?)
3. What does it say that I need to obey? (What should be added to my strategy?)
4. How can I incorporate what is true into my Disciplines? (Specific methods?)
5. What questions do I have for the experts? What might be the answers?
SOURCE – Footnotes:
 Chapter Three: What causes Type 2 diabetes? – Dr Jason Fung, in Diabetes Unpacked: Just Science and Sense. No Sugar Coating by Tim Noakes, Jason Fung, et. al.
Photo by Patricia Piolon, Sugar, via Flickr.com.
Please review the page How and Why We Use Quotes.
Fung-10-31.38 Origin: Last Revision: 07/21/2020